Strategic and Cost-Effective Legal Representation for Start-up and Closely Held Business Matters
Start-ups and closely held businesses have a variety of legal needs. Managing these needs strategically and cost-effectively requires a clear understanding of the business, the business’s regulatory or competitive environment, and the founders’ goals. At Potts Blacklock Senterfitt, PLLC, we work with start-ups and closely-held businesses in all industries, and our lawyers rely on their own real-world experience to provide practical solutions to our clients.
Are you starting a business in Texas or Delaware? Are you seeking to relocate or expand your business in Texas? Do you have questions about what your company needs to be doing to manage its risks effectively? Regardless of your needs, we can help.
Types of Start-up and Closely Held Business Representations
We offer a variety of legal services for start-ups and closely held businesses. We work with companies throughout the business life cycle, from entity formation to exit. Our lawyers routinely assist company founders, owners, managers, and directors with matters including:
- Formation and Setup of LLCs, Partnerships, and Corporations: We assist with forming limited liability companies (LLCs), partnerships, and corporations under Texas and Delaware law. Our lawyers can help you choose the most appropriate form of entity for your business, and we can take care of all of the filings and documentation needed to get your new entity up and running.
- Advice on Professional Entities: We advise accountants, architects, brokers, lawyers, and other professionals regarding the formation of professional services entities. Different types of entities make sense in different scenarios, and we can guide you through making an informed decision. Our lawyers can assist with all initial and ongoing structuring, governance, and management matters as well.
- Company and Partnership Agreements: Company and partnership agreements establish co-owner’s rights and responsibilities, and they are essential for effective management, dispute avoidance, and dispute resolution. Our lawyers have extensive experience drafting and negotiating company and partnership agreements for businesses ranging from small partnerships to LLCs with multiple rounds of investors.
- Bylaws and Stockholder Agreements: Bylaws and stockholder agreements are essential governance documents for closely held corporations. Our lawyers work with company founders to develop bylaws and agreements that reflect their unique goals and needs.
- Governance Requirements, Best Practices, and Risk Management: We work with many of our start-up and closely-held business clients on an ongoing basis, providing advice regarding governance requirements, best practices, risk management, and other matters.
- Advising Management and Boards of Directors: We also advise company executives, managers, and board directors regarding potential investments, debt financings, risk management, and other business matters. In addition, our lawyers represent executives, managers, and board members in their capacities during negotiations and disputes.
- Board and Management Advisory Relationships: Board advisors are key to a startup company’s early success. We help our startup clients structure and document relationships with their advisors to align the parties’ incentives while protecting the client’s long-term growth potential.